Identity theft is a growing concern, and Wilmington Trust is committed to helping you take the necessary precautions against becoming a victim. We will also provide assistance and support in the event that a crime should happen to you.
As soon as you suspect that you may have become the victim of an identity theft crime, please immediately contact Wilmington Trust at 1-800-724-2440 so that we can help you to complete the following actions:
- File a police report with your local police station.
- Begin the process of notifying all of your creditors, initially by phone, and then in writing.
- Notify the three major credit bureaus to place a "fraud alert" on
your credit file.
- Request a copy of your credit report and report any discrepancies to the three major credit bureaus. Log on to www.annualcreditreport.com to obtain a free credit report annually from each of these bureaus.
- Notify utility companies (electric, telephone, etc.) and alert them in case someone attempts to obtain service in your name.
- Maintain a written chronology of what happened, what was lost, and the steps you took to report the incident to the various agencies, banks, and firms impacted. We can provide a form on which you can record the date, time, contact telephone numbers, person you talked to, and any relevant report or reference number and instructions.
Listed below are helpful resources where you can learn more about identity theft: